That’s a question we are asked each day at Lauren’s Hope and a question that you, at some point, may have asked yourself– “Should I wear a medical ID?” or “Who should wear a medical ID?”
Some of the top reasons to wear a medical ID are if you live with or have had:
- Food Allergies
- Drug Allergies (sulfa, penicillin, etc.)
- Gastric Bypass Surgery
- And More…
There are common misconceptions that by wearing a medical ID you are labeling yourself or bringing unwanted attention to your condition or diagnosis. The truth is that medical Identification can be, and often times is, life saving.
If you have been diagnosed with a medical condition, allergy or if you’re on medications, a quick diagnosis of your condition will lead to faster and more effective treatment in an emergency. Your medical ID bracelet or necklace will alert doctors, paramedics and school nurses of your medical history so that time is not wasted.
Do I really need a medical ID?
If you’ve been diagnosed with a chronic condition, have food or drug allergies, or take medications, then you should wear a medical ID. Any of the following conditions may alter the treatment you might normally receive.
Here is a short list of conditions and people who should wear a medical ID bracelet or medical ID necklace. If we left anything out of this list, please bring that to our attention by commenting on this post.
- Heart Patients with Pacemakers, Heart Stents, Atrial Fibrillation, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Arrhythmia
- Lympedema Alert
- Food Allergies including Peanut Allergy, Tree Nut Allergy, Gluton Intolerace including Celiac Disease
- Allergy to Medications such as Penicillin Allergy, Sulfa Allergy, Morphine Allergy, Allergy to Contrast Dye, Bee Sting Allergy, Allergic to Cephalosporins
- On Blood Thinners, Von Willebrand’s, Hemophilia
- Gastric Bypass Patient, Lap Band Patient
- Alzheimer’s, Memory Impaired
- Manic Depressive, Schizophrenia
- Hearing Impaired, Cochlear Implant, Sight Impaired
- Organ Transplant Patient, Organ Donor
- Adrenal Insufficiency
- Epilepsy, Seizure Disorder
- On Multiple Medications
- No MRI
- Any other Chronic Condition
The Lauren’s Hope philosophy is to combine the safety of a medical ID with the style of fashionable handmade creations you’ll be happy to wear.
Our wide range of medical IDs include trendy, fun medical IDs designed for kids as well as classic, dressy jewelry for the ladies. Men aren’t left out in our line of medical IDs with sturdy, durable stainless steel and sterling silver options that are long lasting and rugged.